Sunday, June 9, 2013

Could This Be Happily Ever After?

Confessions of a Straight Mormon Boy, Part VII
(Note: what follows is a work of fiction, a hypothetical look at a fake world in an attempt to cultivate empathy in the real world)

Today:

I am happier now than I ever have been! I am still working at my regular job, which I love even more now that I can go to work everyday and not lie to everyone about who I really am. And I actually have a steady girlfriend. We met through a friend of a friend that knew we were both straight. At first I was nervous about how to approach the whole straight dating thing, but once I met her and we started talking it was just so natural and easy.

She is smart, funny, and WAY attractive. She is caring and patient and she makes me want to be a better person. She makes me laugh, and helps me to truly appreciate all of the good things in life. She loves all the things that are important to me: being with and helping other people, enjoying music, working hard, etc. We are a perfect match for each other: what one of us lacks, the other makes up for. I am no longer sad and bitter inside. I am free. I am happy.

My girlfriend and I make each other happy. But we are a straight couple. Sometimes people still look at us weird when we go out together in public (sometimes with outright disgust). It really doesn't bother us though, because we are in love. We want to share the rest of our lives together and have the kinds of things I always dreamed of having. We want a family. Marriage and adoption by heterosexual couples is still not easy--and it is actually still not legal in most states--but it is getting easier and we have hope for the future.

The best part of our relationship is that she loves God and Jesus Christ as much as I do. She makes me want to be a better disciple of Jesus Christ, and helps me to become the kind of person that I am trying to be. Maybe someday we will be completely accepted for who we are, maybe not. For today, I know that we are doing the best that we can to follow Christ and be happy. We know it and we know that God knows it, and we can't ask for anything more than that.



This is the conclusion of a seven-part blog series. To read the full article, go to A Straight Mormon Comes Out

I would guess that it is hard for a heterosexual person to imagine what life would be like if they were gay. I have written this in an attempt to put myself in the shoes of someone who has grown up gay and Mormon, and I have likely revealed a lot more about myself than I intended. I chose to set this story in the Mormon culture because it is one that is the most familiar to me--but I would think that many of the principles involved above are common for people in other faith-based cultures as well.
Comments are welcome.


(Note: This series in in response to A Gay Mormon Coming Out (live)Gays and MormonsMormon Couple With A Gay Husband And Straight Wife, and other similar stories/videos)

No comments :

Post a Comment