Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Campus Parking

I hate it.  I.  Hate.  Parking.  On Campus.

I often choose to walk 45 minutes in 90(plus)-degree weather (or snow) just so I don't have to try and find a place to leave my car for a few hours.  I only drive when I don't have time to walk.  Ironically, it usually takes as long (sometimes longer) to find a legal parking space.

Once, I had to stop at Wendy's after about 30 minutes because I needed a bathroom break.

I am late to a handful of classes each semester because of time spent circling campus.  More often than not, I am forced to park off campus.  I am not opposed to this, nor am I opposed to walking.  The problem arises in the fact that if I am looking for parking, I am already running late.  By the time I am forced off campus, class is likely to be underway.

Additionally, parking off campus means parking on Provo streets where the prospects are not much better.  (Ask me about my 1-hour parking problem).  

And I am not alone in my woes.  People have been complaining about car placement opportunities for decades.

When I started graduate school, I was excited because I could finally park in the Graduate Student lots.  Last year, however, several undergraduates boasted they never got ticketed when parking in Grad lots.  This led me to think that they were not monitoring those lots...
    They are monitoring them now.

This picture was taken by BYU patrol this afternoon.  That's my car in the motorcycle stall.  The sad thing is, I am totally okay with paying the what-turned-out-to-be-a $10 fine.  In fact, I was willing to pay up to $30 for this one-time privilege.  I made out with $20 in consumer surplus.  I don't know why BYU doesn't just charge for parking.

I just totaled all my BYU parking fines since I started driving in 2007.  $222 (this includes 3 boots).  That's less than $45 a year.  How much would you pay to ensure a parking space on BYU campus for a year?

3 comments :

  1. I found it frustrating when I have been down there and tried to find visitor parking! I can only imagine the frustration daily! They may have to build some parking garages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. They can also price discriminate really well with this--the stalls closer to campus cost more. That way, they maximize profits and the parking problem goes away. Or maybe they could randomly blow cars parked close to campus, creating an incentive for people to park further away (Professor Kearl once suggested this in my 110 class). Although this solution wouldn't really help you it would be fun to watch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, Nathan. I want to share your comment with everyone.

    ReplyDelete