Thursday, July 14, 2011

Recording vs. Experiencing

This article on NPR.org reminded me of something I have thought about often lately, especially after having a child.

I often wish that I took more pictures and videos of life as it happens.  I love looking at pictures and watching old home videos of myself and my family from when I was too young to remember, and I love sharing these memories with others.  Unfortunately, I always wish we had more to review and enjoy, and possibly learn from (who knows what we can learn about ourselves be watching ourselves as children).

Now that I am a father, I want to document every great moment and every day-to-day experience that happens so that my son and future children can have those memories when they grow up.

The challenge, however, is that whenever I am behind a camera I do not feel involved in the moment.  The above article reminds me that I am not alone in this struggle to balance the recording of life with simply experiencing it.

2 comments :

  1. How do you get the 7 Icon on the tab?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you talking to me about this once. Somehow I feel a lot of times like recording things helps me remember/experience them, like taking notes during lectures even if you never go back and look at them, you know? But maybe it's just me.

    ReplyDelete