Saturday, March 13, 2010

Vocab #5

Due to the insanely large amount of new words that I am finding, I have decided to change the format of my posts.  To cite a favorite cliche of mine, I cannot expect you to drink from a fire hose.


For that reason, I have decided to give you.... (insert drum roll)...

...
...
...

The 10 New Words of the Day!!
Here they are:

1. paroxysm- a sudden, violent outburst
2. to decant- to pour from one container to another (with wine: gently, as to not disturb the sediment)
3. surfeit- an excess; a too-full feeling from overeating/drinking
4. plaint- a complaint; (related to plaintiff: the one who complains)
5. to expiate- to atone for; to make amends for
6. dynamism- a theory that seeks to explain phenomena of nature by the action of force; vigor, great energy
7. timorous- full of fear
8. recrudescence- revival; gaining a second wind; coming back into active existence
9. fecund- fertile; capable of producing offspring
10. prolific- highly fertile; producing offspring abundantly, with great frequency
*Image obtained from blog.domaintools.com

I even numbered them so you would not be tempted to think that I was cheating you.

Look for the next 10 New Words of the Day coming soon!!

No comments :

Post a Comment