Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Words

This week, I received my GRE scores.  I hope that taking the test during finals week had an adverse effect.  I definitely think that I can do better.

I understand that many people choose to take aptitude tests--such as the SAT, GRE, or LSAT--multiple times in order to get used to the test style and ensure that they perform their best.  I took the ACT twice, myself.  And if the people in charge of admissions to MPP programs put much weight on GRE scores, I may definitely have to take this one a few more times.

I scored okay on the quantitative reasoning section, and I understandably did not do as well as I would have liked on the writing section--I had written over six final papers for classes during that week--but I was surprised how difficult the verbal section was for me.

I love to learn new words.  Many times during lectures about advertising or economics, I will hear a word that I do not know.  I always make it a point to write down and look up new words.  I have not always been this way, however, and it may be too little too late.

I only barely started to read for entertainment (about the same time that I took to writing for entertainment).  Also, it has only been a few years since I started admitting to myself and others that I do not know something.  I decided that the opportunity to learn something new to me was more important than a temporary shot to my pride.

I have one more semester before I am done with my undergraduate program.  I hope that is enough time to learn enough new words to get me into a good program.  I also hope that GRE scores are not as important as other assets that I may have.

No comments :

Post a Comment