Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Haircuts

Today is a good day to talk about haircuts--which can apparently be fairly difficult to give to fair-haired boys and men.

Allow me to explain my hypothesis by starting with a little bit of history.  When I was a child, my dad gave my brother and I buzz cuts whenever our hair started to get in our eyes.  When I was in third grade, I no longer liked my hair to stick out, so I let my hair grow out longer.  This meant that my hair was always in my eyes.  Finally, as I prepared for high school, I found the hairstyle that was right for me.

I like to have the sides of my hair shaved with an electric trimmer, using a number 2 guard.  The top can be trimmed using scissors and a comb, just longer than the sides.  The hardest part--presumably--is the fading from the 2 guard on the sides to the slightly longer hair on top.

I once gave this kind of haircut to a roommate who had wavy, somewhat curly hair.  Because of the natural curl, it did not matter too much whether every hair was even.  My hair, on the other hand, is extremely straight; long hairs, or longer sections of hair stick out on my head like tiny, sore thumbs.

I used to pay 13 dollars for a haircut from semi-professionals at licensed salons.  I am fairly particular and was rarely satisfied by these haircuts, so now I pay 4 dollars for a haircut from beauty students in Lindon--and I am only slightly less unsatisfied because I still have 9 dollars left over for lunch.  I will occasionally receive a really good haircut, but usually there is something that I have to go home and fix on my own.

But yesterday was the worst.  I came in with hat hair, which is not abnormal.  The problem is that 20 minutes later, I left with hat hair.  I was amazed at first that the girl was able to cut my hair evenly without even getting it wet so that it would stand up straight.  After washing my hair, I found that she did not cut it straight at all.  I wish I would have taken a picture to show you.  It's okay though.  I cut it some on my own this morning and my brother will finish the back for me tomorrow night.  This is just the part of the process that I have learned to get used to.

I will finish with a quote from Cory Matthews of Boy Meets World:
"When I get a hair cut, it looks terrible for like… the first six weeks. All of a sudden it looks terrific for like… a day. Then it’s time for another haircut. It’s what I like to call The Haircut Cycle of Shame."*
If you have any better suggestions, please let me know.

*Image from www.dreamagic.com

3 comments :

  1. Cory Matthews was a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a boy who made us drive across Slovenia, Croatia, and Serbia so he could have his hair cut just right by a gypsy girl barber in Belgade.

    ReplyDelete