Friday, November 6, 2009

Don't give up til it's over

I have always been a glass-half-full type of person. Never to be daunted by any barriers, I have always learned to make do with whatever life has allotted to me.


Generally speaking--though my mother may disagree--instead of just complaining about my situation or throwing my hands up whenever I am faced with major limitations, I always try to assess the situation.  I carefully analyze (1) my goal, (2) my assets, and (3) my limitations.  Then I make a plan based on the best I can do.

One example of this mentality is that as a kid, I wanted to be a computer animator: I did not know at all what that desire entailed, but I found that I really enjoyed drawing bitmap pictures in MS Paint.  I wish I had some old pictures of things that I created as a child that I could post on here.  I was never a very talented artist, but I feel like I pushed MS Paint to the limit with fairly decent results.

I soon discovered MS PowerPoint.  I could create a series of pictures and then display them one at a time--like real animation!  PowerPoint would even allow me to move a character from one point on the screen to another.  This was long before motion paths, mind you!  It took some creativity to figure out how to make my character move to a point on the screen; stop; and then move again after the giant, man-eating chicken appeared.  But once again, I feel like my little films were a success.

Later on, I downloaded a free version of Macromedia Flash 5.  My first real days of animation had begun.  I made two short movies (may they rest in peace) before my 30-day trial subscription ran out.

In my freshman year of college, I discovered that I am not a good enough artist to do animation; I switched to film.  Again limited by technology options (and time), I utilized the full abilities of Windows Movie Maker to create silly short films, like this one I made during the course of one FHE in October 2004.



You can imagine my excitement when, on the mission in Serbia, I had the opportunity to experiment with then-brand-new software like Adobe Photoshop CS3 and MS Office 2007.  I was able to completely revitalize the English-teaching program of the missionaries in Belgrade.


I created newspaper ads for the free daily paper, inspiring hundreds of people to come see what we were about.  I created placement tests, lesson plans, grade sheets, and final exams.  I even created business cards for all of the missionaries.  It was a lot of fun, and very successful.

My point is that no matter what it is that you want to do--as long as you are not locked in to one specific way of doing things--there is always a way to get it done.

3 comments :

  1. Why would your mom disagree? Although when you were younger and got mad/frutrated...you would throw your hands up so to speak.... :-D Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the utility maximization link!

    ReplyDelete